Get busy and whip up some simple nutritious dishes for your growing belly as we feature recipes of one pregnancy superfood in every issue.
Eating for two doesn’t mean doubling your intake for everything but rather, choosing what goes into your mouth wisely. Getting the right nutrition while you’re expecting is one of the best ways to give your baby a great head start in life. Besides, it can make pregnancy safer and more comfortable for you too.
High in nutrients and low in calories, berries are more than just pretty colours. From strawberries, blueberries and raspberries to blackberries, boysenberries and gooseberries, they are packed with carbohydrates, vitamin C, potassium, folate, fiber and fluid. The phytonutrients in berries are naturally-occurring, beneficial plant compounds that protect cells. In fact, you may be surprised to learn that a serving of strawberries has even more vitamin C than an orange!
Grilled Chicken & Polenta with Nectarine-Blackberry Salsa
PREPARATION TIME 10 minutes
COOKING TIME 30 minutes
MAKES 4 servings
|1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided||450gm boneless & skinless chicken breast, trimmed|
|1 tablespoon ground cumin||2 nectarines, halved and pitted|
|1 teaspoon salt, divided||2 cups blackberries, coarsely chopped|
|¾ teaspoon freshly ground pepper||2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro|
|1 450gm tube prepared plain polenta||1 tablespoon lime juice chilli sauce, to taste|
- Pre-heat grill to medium-high.
- Combine 1 tablespoon oil, cumin, ¾ teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub 1 teaspoon of the mixture all over polenta. Rub the rest into both sides of chicken.
- Cut the polenta crosswise into 8 slices. Rub the cut sides of nectarine halves with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil.
- Oil the grill rack by rubbing a folded paper towel – slightly dipped in oil – all over the rack with tongs. Place the chicken, polenta slices and nectarines on the grill.
- Grill the polenta until hot and slightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean plate; tent with foil to keep warm.
- Grill the nectarines, turning occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes total. Grill the chicken, until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken and nectarines to a cutting board. Coarsely chop the nectarines. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes, then slice thinly.
- While the chicken rests, combine the chopped nectarines, blackberries, cilantro, lime juice, chilli sauce and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Layer the polenta, chicken and fruit salsa on plates and serve.
Raspberry, Avocado & Mango Salad
PREPARATION TIME 25 minutes
MAKES 5 servings
|1½ cups raspberries, divided||8 cups mixed salad greens|
|¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil||1 ripe mango, diced|
|¼ cup apple cider vinegar||1 small ripe avocado, diced|
|1 small clove garlic, coarsely chopped||½ cup thinly sliced red onion|
|¼ teaspoon salt||¼ cup toasted chopped hazelnuts or sliced almonds, optional|
|1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper|
- Purée ½ cup raspberries, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a blender until combined.
- Combine salad greens, mango, avocado and onion in a large bowl. Pour the dressing on top and gently toss to coat.
- Divide the salad among five salad plates and top each with the remaining raspberries and sprinkle with nuts, if desired.
Triple Berry Crisp
PREPARATION TIME 20 minutes
COOKING TIME 40 minutes
MAKES 6 servings
|1½ cups blackberries||½ cup golden brown sugar, packed|
|1½ cups raspberries||½ teaspoon cinnamon|
|1½ cups blueberries||½ cup reduced-fat butter, cold|
|¼ cup white sugar||Fat-free frozen vanilla yogurt, optional|
|¾ cup all-purpose flour||Light whipped cream, optional|
|¾ cup rolled oats|
- Preheat oven to 175˚C.
- In a medium bowl, gently toss the blackberries, raspberries, blueberries and white sugar with a spatula. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add in butter bit by bit until crumbly.
- Coat a 9-inch Pyrex dish or baking pan with cooking spray and press half of the crumbly mixture in it.
- Cover the crumbly layer with berries. Sprinkle remaining crumble mixture over the berries.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Top with a little whipped cream or frozen yogurt, if desired.
Frozen Berry Yoghurt
PREPARATION TIME 20 minutes
MAKES 1 serving
|A handful of fresh/frozen and thawed berries, (raspberries, blackberries and/or blueberries)||200ml fresh orange juice|
|1 banana||½ cup crushed ice|
|1 tablespoon organic oats||125gm cup low-fat plain yogurt|
|1 tablespoon organic milled flaxseed||1 teaspoon honey|
- Purée berries in a food processor or blender until smooth. Pass through a sieve to remove seeds.
- Combine all other ingredients and blend until smooth.